Thanks Ginny for this photo of today’s share!
In the share :
– cucumbers –
– carrots –
– zucchini – new this week!
– fava beans – also for the first time for Monday shares. Here is the basics on preparing them for use: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-pick-clean-and-prepare-84710.
And here are a few ideas for how to use them: http://www.fullcircle.com/goodfoodlife/2013/04/23/delicious-fresh-fava-bean-pasta-recipe/
Do you have any fava recipes? Please send them my way! thanks!
– rainbow lacinato kale –
– hakurei turnips – they keep pumping more and more out of the ground!
– lettuce: 1 head of red romaine (“outredgeous”) and 1 head of green romaine (“jericho”)
– green onions –
– cabbage – a head of the savoy cabbage called ‘famosa’. Here’s one idea for using this:
Bandh Gobhi Ki Sabzi (Buttered Smothered Cabbage) 1 small cabbage (1-3/4 to 2 lbs) 2 Tbl ghee, butter or oil 1-1/2 tsp cumin seeds 1/4 tsp ground asafoetida (optional) 1/4 tsp turmeric 1 Tbl minced ginger root or 1/2 tsp dry 1 8 oz can tomato sauce or 1 cup chopped fresh ripe tomato (1 lg) 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper or 2 seeded and minced green chilies 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup hot water 1-2 Tbl coarsely chopped fresh coriander leaves or 1 Tbl dry (optional) Cut the cabbage into quarters, and core out the stem from each quarter. Shred the cabbage into 1/2-inch thick shreds. Heat the ghee over med-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed (pref. non-stick) pan. When the ghee is hot, add cumin. When cumin turns dark brown (10-15 sec), add asafoetida (if using it), and immediately add the shredded cabbage. Sprinkle turmeric over the cabbage and saute, turning and tossing rapidly until cabbage is wilted (about 5 min). Add ginger, tomato (sauce), and chilies or red pepper, and continue cooking for an additional 5 min. Add salt and water. Reduce heat to med-low and cook the cabbage, covered, until it is tender and the water is absorbed into the vegetables (about 20 min). Check and stir often while it is cooking to prevent burning. Fold in coriander leaves, check for salt, and serve.